Tuesday 31 March 2020

It's been a while, but COVID_19 drove me to it

Well hello everyone, long time no blog.  After a couple of requests from people in multiple WhatsApp groups I decided to regale you of my tales of cabbagyness.  The last time I gave you some mild entertainment I was packing for the first leg of the Camino, that was May 2018.  I did blog about that but with the Four4theRoad gang and it was so good (the Camino not the blog) that we decided to do it again.  So last October we booked our flights and arranged to do the second leg of it.  Covid 19 well and truly screwed that up for us and all plans were dismantled.  Which leaves us here.  Trapped in our homes with nothing to do but think, scratch and worry about running out of toilet roll.

A lot has happened in two years, I said goodbye to my overies, we lost some people and have made some new friends, a couple of whom are as cabbagy or if not more than I, ohhh and I took up tattooing and have had the pleasure of scarring some of my friends for life, that is fun.

Someone recently asked me to do a funny blog about Covid_19.  I have thought about it very hard and simply cannot think of one thing that's funny about the Covid.  I considered writing about the simpletons who went out and emptied the shelves of toilet roll but didn't want to give them any blog time.   Then I plotted against the muppets who left their homes on Sunday when Leo made the announcement about the lockdown that wasn't really a lockdown to empty the shelves of everything else, leaving those most vulnerable without, but I didn't want to give them any blog time either.   I pondered on those absolute dimwitdumbpinheads who create hysteria by sharing fake news and scaremongering the public, but they didn't deserve anyones time either.

So it left me thinking about not writing a funny blog but a positive one. About giving thanks and being grateful.

I want to give thanks to the many people I know who are front liners and leave their homes, their children and the comfort of their safe spaces to travel to work while some are lucky enough to be at home moaning about self isolating.

To the fire brigade, parmedics, nurses, radiographers and carers who treat the sick.  To the porters, the sterilisation units, the cleaning staff, the clerks, the cooks and the aides, because if they didn't go to work the hospitals couldn't remain open.

To the retail staff  and the delivery persons who risk everything and battle every day for long hours to provide us all with the essentials while ignorant dickweeds treat them like crap.

To An Post and the volunteers who have been and continue to be a point of contact for the vulnerable.

To the prison officers, who continue to go into work and care for their inmates, they work long hours and deal with situations that others will never have to.

To the Gardai, who are out doing exactly what they have always done, defending and protecting the community. Responding to calls of scared elderly people, youths disobeying social distancing, and all the other stuff they did before.

To the army who are on standby.

To the people obeying social distancing and following the guidelines set out by the HSE and our Government, who can I say, are playing a blinder during this pandemic.

You probably started this thinking you would have a giggle by the end of it, I'm sorry that you didn't, but for once, I can't find anything funny to describe Covid_19.





No comments:

Post a Comment